Challenger School

Happy and Healthy Paw-lidays in the Kitchen


Not all food humans eat is safe for pets to consume. The holidays are a good time to familiarize yourself with common foods that are toxic for pets.

As we enter the holiday season, here are some reminders from Colorado State University’s Dr. Heather Weir and the American Veterinary Medical Association about keeping your pet safe in the kitchen:

  • Chocolate – especially rich, dark chocolate – can be toxic to dogs. Symptoms range from vomiting and diarrhea to tremors and seizures.
  • No raw dough. Ingesting uncooked yeast can cause serious discomfort and possible intestinal rupture in pets.
  • Grapes, raisins, and nuts are often found in holiday recipes, and they can pose serious risk to your pets. The ingestion of grapes and raisins, for instance, can cause toxicity that leads to development of kidney failure and lack of urine production. Learn more about pet first-aid tips and toxic foods here.
  • The alternative sweetener xylitol can cause acute hypoglycemia, sometimes leading to internal bleeding and liver failure. Found in mints, gum and other candy, its use has grown in home kitchens, and some pet poison helplines have simultaneously reported increased cases of xylitol toxicity in pets.
  • Sharing our delicious ham dinner with our pets can induce vomiting, diarrhea, or even pancreatitis, primarily because of the effects of high fat and salt content.
  • Seal up any trash that contains a turkey carcass. A pet can consume so much leftover food so quickly that it can develop pancreatitis, which can be fatal. Contact your veterinarian immediately if your pet has eaten a large amount of leftover food.

Source: Colorado State University news release.


About author

No comments