Keep pets safe and secure from monsters, goblins and other Halloween dangers.
Halloween can be challenging night for families with pets. While some pets enjoy the festivities, the strange sights and sounds may frighten others. Cats usually hide, but dogs may run away in fear – or run after trick-or-treaters in excitement.
“Halloween can be unsettling – and even dangerous — for family pets. To ensure it is a fun night for everyone, responsible pet parents need to take precautions,” says Renee Coughlin of at-home pet care provider Canine Company. She offers the following advice to ensure everyone’s safety and comfort:
- Choose pet costumes with care, making sure they won’t restrict movement or vision and that there are no small pieces your pet can swallow. Introduce the costume a few days in advance so she gets used to it. Canine Company professional dog trainers recommend offering a treat and praise to help with the process.
- Don’t force your pet to wear a costume if he isn’t comfortable. Instead, give your pet some Halloween flair with stencils and pet-safe paints or can create a Mohawk or punk hairdo with colored styling gels. A cute seasonal bandana is another option.
- Bring pets indoors before dusk. Pets left alone outside – especially black cats –may fall victim to tricksters. Some pets become anxious at the children’s shouts and the constantly ringing doorbell. If your pet seems nervous, confine him to a room away from the activity.
- Keep your dog on leash to prevent him from dashing out an open door. If you have an Invisible Fence system, you won’t need a leash, but be sure he is wearing his collar so he stays safely in the yard. If you take her trick-or-treating, be sure she is wearing identification tags in case she runs off in fear or in pursuit of other children.
- Keep candy out of reach. Chocolate is toxic for dogs: so is xylitol, the artificial sweetener used in many candies and gums. It’s best to have pet-safe treats in your pocket or close at hand to distract pets from candy.
“With a little extra planning, we can make Halloween a fun night for the entire family,” says Coughlin. For more advice on pet health and safety, visit Speak! Good Blog!
Canine Company provides at-home pet care products and services that help people keep their dogs and cats healthy, safe and happy, including Invisible Fence® pet containment systems, Manners dog obedience training, as well as mobile pet grooming and pet sitting services in select markets.